Friday, March 23, 2007

Writin' and Readin'

Redneck Diva has started her own writing contest. Drop
in and check it out at writeinthethickofit.blogspot.com.
There is something for everybody, no matter what style
of writing you like. She posts new words every week
or two. Anybody can enter, and anybody can vote for
the week's winner. But only ONCE. The current contest
voting closes on Monday, methinks. Then she will post
a new set of words.

In other news, we've had a book fair at school. I took
my classes to browse few minutes each day. Don't cost
nothin'. Not as many wanted to buy as last time, but
last time was near Christmas. The librarian says the
second book fair of the year never sells as much, but
the school gets a bigger cut. She thinks the profits will
be comparable to the first.

Of course my boys bought a lot of books. The librarian
must have thought it was a lot. She gave us three (THREE)
free posters. Can you believe it, Mabel? I know you can't,
but it's true. I bet they were even worth more than $4. If
you know what I mean. And Mabel does, but you don't,
so sorry for the inside joke, but it's a hoot.

One kid in my class didn't have money on the last day.
He browsed all around. As we were getting ready to
leave, he picked up a book and said, "I really wish I
had this one. I've read all the others, and I've been
waiting for this to come out. My mom was supposed
to give me the money this morning, but she never got
up." He paused for a minute, and his eyes widened.
"What if she's dead? Ha, ha. Do you think you could
loan me the money? I'd pay you back tomorrow. She
was going to give it to me anyway." He looked so
hopeful, I couldn't turn him down. OK. I'm a sucker
for a kid wanting a book. And I'm even more of a
sucker for a kid that can make a joke. Even a macabre
joke about a dead momma.

This morning he showed up for class with that book
about 9/10 read already. And he gave me my $6
first thing. I didn't even charge him interest. Mrs.
Hillbilly Mom is getting soft in her old age.

Or else more forgetful.

5 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Say "Three for three" really really fast, lol, a tongue twister for sure HBM.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Cazzie,
I can't do it. I actually tried. How did you get so powerful, to control me from across the ocean? Did you make a little corncob voodoo doll of my likeness? Because I won't stand for it, by cracky! Drop the cob!

Redneck Diva said...

While technically I do post a new set of words each week, the winner of the previous week is the one that CHOOSES the words! How ingenious is that?

Thanks for the plug!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Diva,
Yes, I danced around that word quite a while before deeming it technically correct.

We had an unfortunate mouse one time, here on the Mansion porch, who was IN Genius. He's my son's yellow cat. The tail hung out his mouth like a spaghetti noodle.

Cazzie!!! said...

LOL, I won;tdrop the cobb if it is Sweet Baby Corn, cooked in the Webber (Kettle) BBQ :) (winks)

Betcha I made you laugh :)