Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bloody Weathermen

I'm a bit late getting this out tonight. Mabel will be harping at me for
it tomorrow. Because it looks like we will be having school. I can
not trust the weathermen. They promise and promise, but don't deliver.
And I go crawling right back to them, time after time, getting my hopes
dashed again.

I had a really bad kind of day at school, what with every piece of
technology I touched going on the fritz. I had nothing to do with it.
I fed them paper, I pushed their buttons, I pounded one like Fonzie
used to hit the jukebox at Al's. Or Arnold's...depending on which
season you were watching. Here's a little secret. That must have
been special effects...because IT DOESN'T WORK in real life.

After school, we headed to the doctor so I could have some blood
sucked out of my arm. It took 30 minutes, because somebody marked
my name off the sign-in list, even though I hadn't be paperworkized.
Then the bloodsucker didn't press on my gaping veinous puncture
(look away, Mabel) and I got a huge soaking gauze pad on my inner
elbow area for my troubles. That's gonna leave a mark. It was already
bruising. I think she went all the way through the vein or something.
It didn't hurt much, but the blood flowed out more slowly than usual.
Yes, Mabel. I watch. And I don't even feel faint.

Once the boys rode the old-man-volunteer-trolley-golf-cart-thingy
back to the car, we went to Sonic for supper. They chose. I didn't
much care, since I had gone without food or drink since 4:00 a.m.
for that fasting blood test thingy. Then it was off to the movies to
see Santa Claus 3: The Escape Clause. It was pretty good. I like
those movies. It was a bit disconcerting to see a dead ringer for
one of my students as the elf, Curtis. Same voice, same mannerisms.
I can't wait to tell him. I won't have to wait long, since it looks like
we will be having school tomorrow!

I really must go now. Since Mr. B retired, I am afraid no one is
devoted to doing the snow dance. I shall have to do it myself.

2 comments:

LanternLight said...

"Then the bloodsucker didn't press on my gaping veinous puncture (look away, Mabel) and I got a huge soaking gauze pad on my inner
elbow area for my troubles."

Why I know someone who gets blood taken every 2 -> 3 weeks. Try googling Apheresis while waiting for that WAAAHHHHbulance.

:-)

(the Red Cross Blood Bank managed to tear my vein on Monday, so I do have some sympathy for ya).

Hillbilly Mom said...

Lantern,
I have had limited Google access, so I might just have to look it up in that old-fashioned thingy called a DICTIONARY.